Abbey...

Monday, May 3, 2010

Live Big 5k

Castle Rock, CO May 2, 2010.

Having been asked by Cat oh, about a month or so ago to do this I'd agreed as it was a fundraiser for her nephew that was killed in an accident at way to young of an age.

After getting somewhat "lost" once we got off the freeway and numerous "wrong turns" in the neighborhood, we finally found the start area. Along with Cat there was a couple of girls that work for her at the clinic as well as Dan Jones and Bob V. making the trip from Ft. Collins. Along with some friends of BV's.
And while I've not done any speed work as of late, any and all ideas of going sub 20:00 min's went out the door as in the process of getting lost we drove most of the course and found out this was a little to hilly for those thoughts!

The Start was sort of a cross country start as we started on a grass field heading to the first turn. I made it there in about 4th~5th place deliberately as I had no idea which way we went from there and certainly didn't want to go the wrong way. So with that, I let the other few lead till we got to familiar territory. Once there and for the first(?) time that I can recall I was leading a 5k! Woohoo. though I knew it would be short lived as I suspected the faster company was just warming up. And indeed just before mile 1, the eventual winner would come by and disappear. Drats. It also came as no surprise leading to mile 2 that Dan Jones would eventually come on by but to see Bob V...well, it didn't surprise me seeing him warm up even though he's only still recovering from knee surgery. Glad to see him back but not at my expense!! Ouch.

However, by then it was essentially the four of us running away from the rest of the field and try as I may to catch Dan or Bob, yesterdays long run and ride was creeping up on me and I had no sap what so ever. But, I also know and respect their speed so coming in behind them (for now) was ok. We ended up going 2,3 and 4 with Cat smoking all women in the process! all in all, not a bad day from the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment