Abbey...

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rafting the Colorado and summiting Mt.Sopris

This past weekend I had the chance to Finally climb a mountain I'd had on my list for a very long time. Mt. Sopris (12,953') just outside of Carbondale CO.

However, much to my surprise when I got to my friends house in Glenwood Springs the day before they had had plans to go rafting! And while I've only been a "passenger" in a raft/trip this would be my first to actually "guide" my own raft along with Abbey down the Colorado river outside of Glenwood Springs.

Needless to say, the fiver or six mile stretch we did was a blast and am happy to say I didn't flip over - thank God as I had my pocket camera with me (though in plastic bags of course!). With about a mile to go we pulled off to enjoy some hot(pocket)springs right there on the river which felt pretty nice. This was indeed a super fun day, and a nice surprise as well. I think Abbey enjoyed it as well.

Sunday, September 5 2010.
The following day we were up and at the trail head at Mt. Sopris at 6:30a.m. and while not a long (12 miles r/t) hike it was the vertical from treeline to the top that was the real killer along with the disappearance of any resemblance of a trail as it was all talus and scree!

From here it was somewhat of a scramble to the top. Needless to say I've climbed 14ers that were way easier than this beauty of a beast! and while I waited for my friends to catch up before the true summit (only one other made it) it gave me time to soak in the views of Mt. Crested Butte and Capitol Peak, along with the surrounding area.
Once KC made it up to me we still had about a mile give or take to the true summit. We made that at just before noon, where we spent a few minutes taking the obligatory pictures before heading down where we hooked up with our third member that was having a hard day out there. But enjoying herself none-the-less.

From there it was back to the parking lot, then back to the house. Now every time I see that mountain I can smile knowing I've been to the top. Along with Abbey of course!!

No comments:

Post a Comment