Abbey...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Where has Summer gone Pt.II...

September 22, 2010...

Wow, it wasn't but a couple of weeks ago I asked the above question but here we today. Today being the fist day of Fall!!

And while Spring still remains my favorite season of the year, Summer is right behind. And while this past Summer was somewhat different than last year I had a good one none-the-less:

Europe: This included seeing some close friends that I regard as family. From there, it was on to the Tour de France and back to Chamonix France where I swore someday I'd be back there to hike. I was not disappointed.














Running: Nothing unusual as the year started in Arizona doing the R&R (ran faster than '08) and getting to meet Dean Karnanzes (Ultra Marathon Man himself). From there it was on to Moab for a half which I was able to crank under a 1:30:00 which was the goal going in. A few weeks later it was on to Boston. Knowing the course now I knew where I was with regards to where to push, where to back off. And this year as promised - to myself, I took the time to high-five every girl at the Wellesly College mile marker. By far, the funnest part. Boston like AZ this year was a faster time as well! Woohoo...

Probably the most fun was this years edition of the Wild West Relay. Unlike two years ago where I was part of a six person team I joined a twelve person relay. And while "winning" was never the objective (fun was) we certainly did! I would have to say the best part was Danny's Scones...damn they were good! I'm looking forward to next year. Though no idea if it'll be six or twelve person team?














Adventure Racing: Well, almost! cannot say the Muddy Buddy really qualifies as one but it was as close as I got this year. This years edition I did it with Carrie. And while it was a last minute decision to do it, was glad I, we did. Unlike the previous time where "placing" was somewhat of the goal, this time it was strictly for the fun of it. I know I did and I'm pretty sure Carrie did as well!
















Leadville 100 and all the rest: This year I had the opportunity to help crew and pace for the Leadville trail 100 for both Cat & Dan. It was an opportunity to see this event up close and somewhat personal. The commitment that goes into it is second to none. And while I knew that finishing was "not an option" there were a couple of times...however, I never questioned the determination of either one of them. Nor those that finished as well. Next year? naw, I think a 50 miler is on the agenda though.















Hikes with Abbey: Well, if it weren't for her it would truly have been a bummer of a summer (hmm, that sorta rymes). I'm glad I have her in my life as she truly is my best (four legged) friend and a constant companion in most of all I do these day's. We were able to knock off five 14ers as well as Mt.Sopris this summer as well. Now, I'm not sure if she could talk what she would tell you about those climbs but by judging on how fast she crashed after...we also had the chance to raft down the Colorado river outside of Glenwood Springs as well. This was a first for her as well as me as I've never been at the helm of a raft before! but, glad to report we didn't lose it!
















What next? No idea where Fall & Winter will take me, us. And while I'm already looking forward to Nepal in the Spring time I'm sure well make the best of it in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment