Abbey...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Riding for a cause

Aspen Colorado.
It was just the other day I wrote in my entry about where the summer had gone? and while the temperatures are still nice the trees in the high country realize it's fall.

It didn't take long as I headed up I-70 (and cooler temps) that indeed summer was behind me and fall was in full bloom. The purpose of this road trip was somewhat threefold. Picture taking, Running the Gold Leaf half marathon and finally the Wapiyapi fund raising ride with Lance.


And while I can post the pictures of the fall colors it's just not the same as seeing them in person. But, I'll add one none the less...

This was taken right out side Twin Lakes just S.W. of Leadville. One of my favorite spots to hike, climb and camp. And while we mostly have just "one" color to speak of in the fall compared to the other side of the country it's no less spectacular! this was actually my third time that I was venturing over the pass to Aspen to check out the colors. And with the lack of rain it made them that much colorful.

I arrived in Aspen and picked up my packet & number for Saturday's half marathon.

And while I read that it - the Golden Leaf half was one of the most scenic runs they didn't mention just how tough it was!!. I caught the shuttle from Aspen over to Snowmass and while standing in line I ran into Tish. Tish and I used to work out at the same gym. She may still as I no longer due as I'd rather run with Abbey instead. Tish I will say was they hardest working person, male or female there period! so it was good to have somebody to chat with.

Back to the run now...start was at around about 8000' and straight up for the first mile and a half and believe me the thought of walking surely came across more often than not. And while there were those that had already started to 'powerwalk' I kept it at my pace and prayed for level ground! and while I don't recall ever seeing any of that as the course was either up or down or off camber I manged to finish this beast in one piece, and good enough for 3rd in my age bracket. And as punishing as it was I will be back next year!

Sunday dawned a little cool and brisk as I got into Aspen seeking a place to park and a hot cup of coffee. Sad to say that parking was a lot easier than finding a place open! but, remembering where the Golden Arches was located from yesterday...when I had last checked Friday we had raised around about 65k total and I had been in 9th as far as fundraisers go. Come Sat at 5:00p.m. total amount raised was over 200k and I was the last (top 20 rode with Lance) to make it!! OMG! good stuff for the cause though. And while we all waited for "The Man" to arrive he made it with a few minutes to go. I was fortunate to get him to sign a book for me and pose for a few pic's as well. And with that, we were off!

The cool morning I mentioned earlier didn't last very long as we took the road up to Maroon Bells. And not that it's a grinder by any means it just goes up. And, like yesterday the scenery was just amazing!! wish somewhat I was there to photograph instead of keeping up with Lance (not) but, there is next year. And while I was still a little sore from yesterday and lacked the bike miles vs the running miles I hung in there with a group of 5~6 that made it to the aid station at the Maroon Bells parking lot. It was there that I knew going down there was no way I'd hang with him so...one more photo op' and it was see ya! all in all...one fun, calorie burning weekend! can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment