Abbey...

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Project Leadville 100

December 7th, 20011.

Least we forget 70 years ago today...

What is it about this time of year that makes a person, or in this case me, make summer plans which for the most part are half a year away?. Is it the freezing temps?, the fact that I’m eating dinner at 5:30 and ready to call it a day or night at 7:30p.m since it’s been dark for three hours? Can’t be that I’m looking forward to Spring and new beginnings is it? Maybe all of the above.

In Decembers past and I can say with certainty the last three for sure, that I have planned my itinerary for the upcoming year, which included Hawaii, Europe and Nepal. This year however I’m staying home. This year it’ll be Leadville Colorado as in the Leadville Trail 100.

Now, I know when I helped crew two years ago and seeing what this could do to a person I said “never”. Well, never say never. I thought I’d “never” attempt a 50 miler but I did this past Summer. And when asked as of late “what’s your next race?” I haven’t really had an answer as this year by far has been the best on record as I’ve won every distance I’ve entered with the exception of the Leadville 50. Ended up 4th. But for the record, it was a very positive experience for me.

So, it’s with that, that I plopped down my entry fee before it filled up and I’d regret that I hadn’t and signed on the dotted line. And while it truly won’t be a vacation as the above mentioned destinations, it certainly is a “project” that I’m always looking forward too. And as daunting as this may seem, I truly believe in myself and being able to pull it off. And while I may be the one running the 100 miles I know that I will not be able to pull this off without help. I will try and assemble the best crew and pacers that I call friends to help. Off to train...

~Eddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment